Sunday 15 June 2014

Culture and Civilization - Final Project (Postcard Series)

This was the final project assigned in this module, Culture and Civilization. The objective of this project is to introduce the Western and Eastern culture and civilization through an overview of an archeological discoveries, ancient monuments, artworks, philosophy and achievement of great leaders from prehistoric to present, to show basic skills on enquiry, investigation, application and presentation of relevant information.

For this assignment, we were first required to do a literature research on places of interest of our site visit. We were required to study the theme given and its connection between the historical, architectural and social aspects of the place. And next we had to create a postcard series which consists of 10 postcards and a fine designed packaging that complement the whole series.

There were two themes for us to choose which included :

1. Food culture
- Kopitiam
- Street food
- Coffee culture

2. Architecture
- Malaysian architecture
- Fusion
- Religious places
- Spaces and People

As for me, I had chosen spaces and people which is under Architecture. I had first thought of a few places which suits my theme including Melaka, Penang and Ipoh. In the end, I had chosen Jonker Street Melaka.
With the guidance by my tutor, Ms. Delliya I had picked the final concept for my postcard series which is Nostalgia. Based on the concept chosen, I went to Melaka twice to take the photos till I got the best results.
After a few discussions and tutorial session with my tutor, we had finalized the last 10 photos that will be printed into postcards.

Then I started working on editing the photos to create a stronger ambiance of nostalgia which reminisced the good old times of the people at the place.











I had also designed the back template and packaging for my postcards.

The initial layout of the back template of my postcards.

Final results for the back template of my postcards.

And the packaging.

Report

This assignment had helped me alot in presenting my ideas and thoughts into a different form which is through photos and postcards. The research and site visits I had done also helped me in getting to know more about the Malaysian culture, the people culture in Melaka. I had also discovered many things about the place I had chosen which I usually missed them out for example the beauty and nostalgic ambiance of the place. Besides, I had also learned a lot about photo editing while doing this assignment. I also got better in organizing my work and keep them up to date at times with the help of the tutorials given by my tutor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment